EXAMINATION QUESTIONS FOR ORDINATION CANDIDATES
Please answer all questions with 1-2 complete sentences
A. PERSONAL HISTORY
Briefly share with us your personal background -- your family upbringing, your educational training, and your work experience.
B. SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE
1. Tell us about any religious background or upbringing that you may have had.
2. Tell us about the circumstances that led up to your Conversion?
3. If you were to die tonight, are you confident that you would go to heaven? Upon what are you resting your assurance of eternal salvation?
4. What evidences became apparent in your life showing that you were a child of God and that Jesus had come to reign in your life?
5. Tell us about your method of tithing?
C. CALL TO THE MINISTRY
1. What do you consider constitutes a ‘call to ministry’? Relate your experience in determining “God’s
Call” to the Gospel ministry.
2. Do you feel called to any particular type of Gospel work? (Pastoral, teaching, evangelism, music, missions, youth, etc.)
3. What is your primary reason for wanting to enter the ministry?
4. In what ways do you believe God has gifted you and equipped you for the ministry of the Gospel?
5. What does ‘ordination’ mean to you?
D. THE HOLY SCRIPTURES
1. What do we mean when we say, “Scriptures are authoritative”? Could you give several reasons why the Scriptures are authoritative?
2. Give reasons why it is critical to believe in the authority of Scriptures.
3. What is meant by the term “canon?” Give several criteria against which the books of the Bible were measured that authenticated them as Scripture.
4. What comprises the canon of Scripture? Explain why the Apocrypha is not included in the canon, as we know it.
5. Define revelation, inspiration and illumination and explain how they relate to each other.
E. THE KNOWLEDGE OF SCRIPTURE (Please answer with corresponding scripture)
1. How many books are contained in the Old Testament? The New Testament?
2. What are the five major divisions of the Old Testament? What are the major divisions of the New Testament?
3. Can you name the Pastoral Epistles?
4. Give a basic outline of a book in the Old Testament/New Testaments.
5. Name five major characters written about in the book of Genesis.
6. Give a brief overview of the Pentateuch.
7. Describe some major events in the life of Samuel.
8. Name two judges and briefly outline the major events of their lives.
9. Name five important kings who ruled over Israel or Judah.
10. What were the circumstances during the time of Ezra and Nehemiah?
11. Describe three significant events described by Isaiah.
12. Describe a persecution experienced by Jeremiah.
13. Describe a vision given to Ezekiel.
14. Describe the circumstances and/or emphasis of two Minor Prophets.
15. Name the synoptic gospels. Describe the differences between the four gospels and the value of
16. Give a brief overview of one of the Gospels.
17. Give a brief overview of the book of Acts.
18. Give a one sentence description of the basic theme of 1 Corinthians, Romans, Galatians,
Ephesians, Philippians, 11 Thessalonians, Philemon, Hebrews, 1 Peter, Jude, Revelation.
19. List five of the seven churches described in the Revelation and the theme of the message given to each of them.
20. Give book and chapter for the following:
a. The Fall
b. The flood
c. Abrahamic covenant
d. Ten Commandments
e. The tumbling walls of Jericho
f. David and Goliath
g. Dedication of Solomon’s temple
h. “If I perish, I perish”
i. “Though He slay me, yet will I trust . . .”
j. Psalm of Repentance
k. The Beatitudes
l. The Great Commission
m. Love Chapter
n. The Resurrection Chapter
O. The Armour of God
p. The Fruit of the Spirit
q. The Gifts of the Spirit
r. The Great White Throne Judgment
s. Instruction on Tithing
t. The Suffering Servant
u. The Woman at the Well
v. The transfiguration
w. Jerusalem Council
x. The parable of the three lost things
y. The Good Samaritan